Planting on public land
Awhitu Landcare members have a proud history of planting out areas of community land on the Peninsula, for the enjoyment of the public - for background information on where we have worked over the years, please click here.
Current public planting projects include:
- Manukau Heads Lighthouse surrounds
- Awhitu Central Community Hall – historic building
- Awhitu Central Reserve – ancient bush & wetland areas
- Matakawau Walkway Reserve – boardwalk
- Hamiltons Gap / Waimatuku Reserve – fragile sand dunes
- Craig Reserve – scenic lookout over Cochranes Gap
- Pollok Wharf – Harbourside reserve
- Hatton Road - coastal walkway
Planting on private land
We have raised funds to establish a community native plant nursery on Council land at Matakawau.
Our long term aim is to make this nursery self funding, by being able to provide plants and labour, at affordable prices, for landowners to revegetate the more uneconomic areas of their properties. Such as catchments, or steep hillsides.
We welcome enquiries from Awhitu landowners about assistance with planting on their properties.