A Sustainable Future
Our work is with the community to improve the sustainability of our land and waterways.
We welcome anyone who wishes to pay the minimal $10 per person membership fee to join the group – farmers, lifestyle block owners, bach owners, householders, visitors.
We also now have a lifetime membership for $50 per person, or $100 per household, which is proving very popular.
What all our members have in common is a love of the area and a desire to revive indigenous habitats and improve biodiversity for the benefit of all who live and visit here, now and in the future.
A few facts about Awhitu Landcare
- We have about 80 members, many of whom have won awards for their dedication to environmental work
- Day to day affairs are conducted by a core committee of up to nine volunteers, who meet monthly, with an Annual General Meeting held in June
- We have our base at our native plant nursery, half way up the Peninsula in Matakawau, which we try to open to the community every morning from Monday to Thursday
- We have many projects on the go!
In addition to our active work on the ground, we aim to :
- Increase awareness of environmental issues throughout our community
- Help in the planning of co-operative land and resource-based projects
- Commission research, and share information
- Seek funding to support these aims for the benefit of all those who live or work on the Awhitu Peninsula
Our land sustains us, it is our future.